There’s something extra special about a place that holds equal space for history and progress. That’s what you’ll find in Lititz – a town that preserves the pride of place so many Lititzians hold dear, while also attracting shops, eateries, and hotels with an eye focused squarely on the future.
The Lititz area was traversed and inhabited many centuries ago by indigenous peoples; namely, the Nanticokes. Relics have been unearthed near the head waters of the Lititz Springs, thus substantiating the conclusion that this area of pristine wilderness had had cultural development and social organization long before the arrival of European settlers. It was not until 1722 that Christian Bomberger became the first known European settler in the Lititz area.
The Moravians are the oldest protestant denomination in the world. In the 18th century Moravians left Saxony, Germany in great numbers to serve as missionaries throughout the world, including right here in Central Pennsylvania.
Count Nicholas Ludwig Von Zinzendorf was a nobleman born in 1700 in Dresden. Although he studied law, his dream was to establish a model Christian Community based on Moravian ideology. He left Germany to come to the new world where religious freedom was allowed. He first visited Pennsylvania in 1741, met with leaders of the time such as Benjamin Franklin, and reached agreement for the establishment of a free Moravian movement. This was the beginning of Lititz, which was named after a Bohemian Castle near the village of Kunvald.
The Story of Lititz
For a more detailed telling of the establishment of Lititz, use the link below.
All of the images on this page were captured by Lititz photographer, Tom Roe.